Our great grandfather and grandfather had been cabinet makers and book sellers respectively, but created Bell Floor Covering in 1936 to answer Philadelphia's need for flooring. At the time, we were one of a few flooring businesses located on 2nd street in Northern Liberties, then known as "Linoleum Lane".
By the late 1960s, when Harvey Bell came to work under his father, Bell Floor Covering had became a staple in this bustling neighborhood. To meet the growing demand within Philadelphia and the greater Delaware Valley, Harvey oversaw the addition of a warehouse in nearby Fishtown. After assuming ownership of the business in the early 80s, Harvey became president of the Delaware Valley Flooring Association, swelling its numbers to their greatest counts to date. Harvey grew Bell Floor Covering to become one of the largest and most well-respected flooring retail and installation operations in our region, becoming the sole flooring business to remain on "Linoleum Lane" .
In 2000, as the city was at the doorstep of a new building renaissance, Harvey's son Joe came to work at Bell Floor Covering. With the demand for more diverse, technologically advanced, and cost-effective flooring options than ever before, Joe modernized our inventory and created programs to assist industry professionals and homeowners alike.
Today, Joe Bell runs Bell Floor Covering with help from his wife Allison, plus a team of seasoned industry experts who round out our extended flooring family. Operating out of the same storefront on 2nd street as our ancestors, we take the greatest pride in guiding today's homeowners and industry professionals to the right flooring.